Monday, February 11, 2013

Rosa Parks and Orchids


Day 4( (event four and five): Rosa Parks and Orchids
part of my 2013 28 things in 28 days. 

On Monday it was Rosa Parks 100th birthday and because her birthday month also just happens to be during Black History Month there is a whole array of events going on this month all over DC.  On this particular day I went to the National Archives to watch a short documentary about her life. 


The particular events started at noon (they also have a list of other Rosa Parks events going on this month. Check them out!)

The good: I learned a lot about Rosa Parks that I didn’t know before.  Apparently my elementary school teachers had their facts all wrong and definitely didn’t have access to this 2009 film. 
For example I had no idea that she was actually sitting in the “colored” section and that she had to move to allow a white male to sit down… I was always under the impression that she simply sat down in the wrong section because she was “tired from working.”
And I had no idea that she was an activist working with the NAACP long before the bus boycott.

The bad: The films target audience is elementary school children… meaning it was a little more dramatic then it needed to be and was missing some key facts about the other aspects of the civil rights movement. 

you can watch the film here. 

event number 2: Orchids 
After the film Katie and I went to National Museum of Natural History (NMNH) to view a new exhibit about orchids. 

I don’t know much about Orchids, or flowers in general, but I am always impressed that a museum that is not equipped for “living things” is able to have living things.  And the flowers were absolutely beautiful.

More importantly I loved that they had their twitter exhibit hashtag on display.


This was probably my favorite flower... I think it looks like an evil dragon. 

----
I apologize for being a week late on this post… I spent this past weekend in Florida and didn’t have time to update.  But I promise that I've been keeping up with my 28 days thing. 

------
as always I will be posting updates on each days activity on this blog, but for more immediate updates check my twitter (@ksloss) #28things or instagram (@ksloss) 

------
read about my 2011 year challenge here
and my 2012 challenge here

No comments:

Post a Comment