Monday, February 4, 2013

DC Roller Derby


Day 2 of my 2013: 28 things in 28 days challenge. 

I’ve only been to one Roller Derby before and that was when my sister Kaci won two tickets to one in Iowa a couple of years ago.  But this small introduction to me made me realize that “Hey, this is something I totally want to go to again.” And as soon as I got back to DC I started following the DC roller derby schedule… but never actually made it to one.

Last year it was on my 28 things list and the only thing stopping me was finding a friend to go with me.  Sadly, I found no friends willing to go and found something different to do that day.

Fast forward to this year: I tried once again to convince a friend to go with me… and I was close, oh so close.  But at the last minute I was once again stuck with the internal debate: do I go by myself or not go at all?

And since this is a challenge where I actually want to embrace the “challenge” part I decided to go... the snow, cold weather, and lack of someone to go with me wasn’t going to stop me. 
I got this!

I paid for the $12.00 ticket, $6 PBR, and $4 French fries -obviously, I needed French fries.

and I took my seat on the floor next to the skaters… why sit in the stands when there is a chance someone could run into you?
they were serious about not crossing the magical yellow line 

And it was Awesome!

It didn’t matter that I wasn’t positive on what the rules were or that I wasn't cheering for a specific team… bc it had everything you could want: people crashing into each other, high scores, mascots, and a crowd that loved them. 

an action shot! 

A guy behind me was a better fan then I’ve seen at some “real sport” games.  He had apparel, a sign, knew everyone by their names, and was full of passion… it was hard not to get into the “bout” listening to him.

The “bout” I watched was the DC Demoncats vs. Majority Whips  -you have to love the DC themed names- and ended with the Majority Whips winning by a mere 2 points… 205 to 207.
Talk about an intense last minute.

For their halftime (they had another bout at 6 that I didn’t stay for) they had a group of local Irish dancers come and perform.
I’m not sure if I have ever seen Irish Dancers in person before and spent the whole time wondering how they keep their hair all curled.  
adorable kids 

------
as always I will be posting updates on each days activity on this blog, but for more immediate updates check my twitter (@ksloss) #28things or instagram (@ksloss) 

------
read about my 2011 year challenge here
and my 2012 challenge here


1 comment:

  1. Their hair is often a wig or they sleep in foam curlers. But most serious dancers have a wig.

    ReplyDelete