Thursday, February 14, 2013

Alone on the Ice


Event 7 as part of my 28 things in 28 days challenge

National Geographic Live: Alone on the Ice

As a person who use to work at National Geographic and as a person who has also worked an exhibit -Race to the End of the Earth-  about Antarctica I had to attend this event.

Alone on the Ice: the greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration by David Roberts.

The lecture was presented by the author, David Roberts, and was about Australian Douglas Mawson who made the ninety-five-mile trek across Antarctica after the death of his companion.
He did a great job detailing Mawson journey from 1911-1914 and his 32 days where he was by himself.
The lecture... the author/Presenter did a great job presenting this story. 

The lecture also had a great deal of images from Frank Hurley… images that were just amazing to look at.   
And images that are 10x more impressive when you think about the windy/cold/uncomfortable environment they were taken in.  

a couple of examples I found on a google search... I pulled these from Anthony Luke's blog and you should check out the others that are highlighted. 

how can you not love penguins covered in snow?

Both images from here 

National Geographic Live has a ton of great programming that covers a variety of topics and if you live in DC I would definitely add it to your to-do list. 

------
as always I will be posting updates on each days activity on this blog, but for more immediate updates check my twitter (@ksloss) #28things or instagram (@ksloss) 

------
read about my 2011 year challenge here
and my 2012 challenge here

1 comment: