Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Modern Times: Portrait Gallery

Thursday February 9 

The Portrait Gallery/American Art Museum is one of the best places in DC to see old-school American movies for free.
Last year I saw It’s a Wonderful Life there and anyone who knows me knows that it is my favorite movie. (and it was about 10X better on the big screen!)

This year while searching for free events the Smithsonian has after 5 I came across “Modern Times” a Chaplin movie that also happened to be on the AFI top 100 list… Not only would I complete a 28 day activity it would also allow me to mark a movie off my list.  Win/win!

the event page description: Charlie Chaplin is a bumbling factory worker who falls in love with an orphan girl. The film’s unforgettable slapstick routines double as satiric commentary on class struggle during the Great Depression...


The film was shown in their glass-covered courtyard, which allows for an outdoor movie feel indoors without the cold.

The movie itself had everything a film made in 1936 needed: romance, depression, factories, and humor. 
And since we are taught so much about this time period growing up and how it was presented I really felt like I did understand most of the jokes and what the main characters were going through.
The only downfall of a public screening: A gentlemen who sat next to me thought the movie was hilarious and spent the majority of time expressing this out loud. (But really it allowed me to find certain scenes funnier then they should have been)

No comments:

Post a Comment