Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 3: BANFF (again)

As mentioned before, I spent the first three days of my 28day challenge going to the BANFF Mountain Film Festival that was being presented by National Geographic Live.
Every day really went above and beyond my expectations and I was able to grasp what kind of mountain sports I enjoy watching.
And the answer: Any mountain sport that left me fearing for the life of the person performing the act…. And I understand that you can get hurt snowboarding or skiing, but the rock climbing videos really left me on the edge of my seat.  If something went wrong they would fall to their death. Crazy.
Personally I don’t know if I could go mountain climbing (I’m terrified of heights) but I “enjoyed” watching it.

Fridays movie line up:

Cold (USA/2011/19 min) Experience Gasherbrum II in the middle of a deep, dark winter as seen from the raw perspective of alpinist Cory Richard’s camera. Grand Prize and Best Film – Climbing
The Man and the Mammoth (Canada/2010/6 min) A caveman discovers skiing, thanks to his woolly mammoth friend.
Spoil (USA/2011/44 min) Photographers join the Gitga’at First Nation in an attempt to photograph the legendary spirit bear, in a place threatened by a proposed oil pipeline. Best Film – Mountain Environment
Hanuman Airlines (USA/2011/26 min) Two Nepali adventurers on a mission to launch a paraglider from Mount Everest’s summit.
Solitaire (USA/2011/16 min) In the high desert of South America, winter takes hold, and a handful of drifters cast their lot onto inhospitable lands and forsaken peaks.
Reel Rock: Origins – Obe & Ashima (USA/2011/23 min) A nine-year-old girl from New York City is taking the bouldering world by storm.


My favorite of the night: Cold and The Man and the Mammoth.  


the man and the mammoth: not the "typical" BANFF film, but I'm a sucker for films like this



And Cold

COLD - TRAILER from Forge Motion Pictures on Vimeo.


I'm a little upset that I'm 2 days behind on updating these, but I promise I am doing something everyday. 
if you don't believe me check out my Twitter @KSloss 

No comments:

Post a Comment