Friday, March 11, 2011

Presidential Stuff

Day 21: President’s Day Events and Bookstores
On my intern work cultural calendar it stated that the White House Visitor Center was going to have free arts and crafts, music, and activities all day.
I went and they had no such thing.
Well, they had a table set up with coloring books and a puzzle.  that was it.
But I did watch the informative video about the White House and look at the small displays they had up.
Later that day –b/c I felt like I needed to do something else- I checked out a few book store in Dupont Circle. 
The most noteworthy was “Kramers Bookstore” I’ve heard people talk about this one before –Kaci actually sent me a text telling me to go there- and I’ve been meaning to check it out.  This particular day they were closing earlier for maintenance   and there was not any free music or event going on.  But I did browse the bookstore for a good hour, I didn’t buy anything b/c I really need to love a book before I buy it, but it was still fun.

Day 22: Kennedy Center Millennium Stage
The Kennedy Center has free shows 365 days a year ever night at 6:00pm.  It is one of those things that you can always do so you never actually go to. 
This particular day they had the “New England Conservatory of Music” Performing.
I’m not completely sure if I’ve actually watched anyone play the piano solo before, but it was definitely interesting.  I mean I’m not completely sure if I could have sat through 2 hours of this, but for 60 mins it was interesting. 
They also had a trio-group perform and a singer accompanied by the piano.
All of which made me want to make my future child practice the piano for 3 hours a day.

you can watch the performance I saw HERE!

Conclusion:  if you are in DC and want to feel cultured you should check out the free Kennedy Center shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment