Sunday, March 28, 2010

Curly Hair and Old Folks

At work yesterday I checked in what I would like to call a “young recently retired” individual. You know people who are still “old” but still young enough to walk at a normal speed and stay up for the majority of the day.

We had a little line and I told her that I was sorry for making her wait.

Her response was “it’s okay, us curly hair folks need to stick together

Up to this point I had no idea she had curly hair, it generally isn’t a thing I look at.
She continued to say how “curly hair is amazing b/c it never goes away and that your hair will be curly forever.”

I didn’t have the heart to tell her that I was banking on getting old and my hair magically becoming straight, but I didn’t want to ruin her mode.

We then bonded over how we are both the only individuals in our family that have curly hair

I added something like “if I didn’t look so much like my sisters, I would have thought I was adopted
And she added “my sibling use to tease me how I’m the milk mans daughter” (the milk man comment should age her… I was always told I was the mail mans daughter)

Yep, it was fun.
I’m beginning to like the “old people” the “young people” still kind of freak me out….

3 comments:

  1. I've found I've been relating more to old people once I started having "kids these days" moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom had curly hair when she was younger, and after she got pregnant it went away so i have been convincing myself for years that this is what will happen to me, too

    ReplyDelete
  3. curly hair rules. everyone else should be jealous. if only i knew how to manage mine.... ugh

    ...this lady sounds like a ball of fun and witty comments

    ReplyDelete