Friday, May 22, 2009

Newsweek v. Time

Newsweek has been my favorite news magazine for at least the past 5 years of my life. I remember during the 2004 election they had far better state by state coverage of the national political campaigns and Time seemed to be (in my mind) over shadowed by the awesomeness of Newsweek.


But something happened in the past year and Newsweek started to well… stink… and started being over shadowed by Time.


There is a clear explanation for this and that revolves around the idea that print media is a thing of the past and people prefer getting their news from the Internet.


To be clear Time also seemed to lose some of its awesomeness this past year; the articles started to be shorter, their started being more adds, and the magazine it self seemed to shrink in size.


Newsweek also got rid of (what they thought was) unneeded graphics and after about 2 months I got use to reading a blah magazine… but this past week that all changed.


They now have this weird header on top of every page that looks like a poorly done Photoshop job for a high school year book. The magazine also seemed to double in size, with more graphics, larger print, and weird sub-sections.


It is clear that the dull boring Newsweek was not what its readers wanted and they needed something to pull the readers in…. but in my opinion it didn’t work.


Anyway, the point of this post is to let everyone know that Newsweek is no longer my favorite magazine and has been over shadowed by Time


(Time does have the Pop Chart, which I do learn all my pop knowledge from… so it is going to take a lot of Newsweek to win me back over)

No comments:

Post a Comment